Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania

These volumes are based on early church Burial Registers held at the Archives Office of Tasmania and/or our societyís published index Tombstone & Memorials Inscriptions of Tasmania (TAMIOT).  Included, where available, are death dates and burial dates, and age at death.  Also included in a separate column are death dates from the Tasmanian Pioneers Index 1803-1899; conflicting dates and ages have sometimes been recorded.  Each publication contains complete transcriptions of all headstones and memorials as recorded over many years for individual cemeteries. 


 




 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol I  Woodbridge compiled by Thelma McKay

Originally known as Peppermint Bay, the cemetery was opened in 1859. There is no dedicated Burial Register and this publication is based on TAMIOT records.  Cemetery plans were destroyed in the 1967 bush fires.  Included in this publication is a numbered cemetery plan drawn up by the Kingborough Council in 1991 when the burial ground was closed.  Dates from Death Notices published in The Mercury are also included in the indexes.

 

Sample page

 



 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol II  Congregational Cemeteries of Bagdad, Brighton/Pontville, Broadmarsh, Green Ponds/Kempton, Hunting Ground and Wattle Hill, Melton Mowbray compiled by Rosemary Davidson

Compiled from the Congregational Burial Register and related records for the Kempton area of the Southern Midlands (north of Hobart) and includes many pioneering families.

 

Sample page

 

 


Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol III Queenborough Cemetery, Hobart
(Hardcopy in two volumes, A-J and K-Z.  Also available as a microfiche.)

This cemetery, which served the southern suburbs of Hobart for over 70 years, was opened in Sandy Bay in 1873.  It was closed in 1944; the land was later redeveloped; the cemetery no longer exists.  This index is compiled from various records held at the Archives Office of Tasmania eg relevant headstone and memorial transcriptions, and the Hobart City Councilís burial and removal records and associated correspondence.

Sample page


   
 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol IV Richmond: Part 1 Anglican

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol IV Richmond: Part 2 Roman Catholic

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol IV Richmond: Part 3 Congregational (inc Cambridge)

Many early colonists and convicts are buried in the burial grounds for St Lukeís Anglican Church, St Johnís Catholic Church, plus the Congregational cemetery at both Richmond and nearby Cambridge.  Dates from Death Notices published in The Mercury are also included in the indexes.  No longer available as originally published in one volume, each cemetery is now available as a separate book.


Sample page

 

 

 

 

 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol V Cornelian Bay Cemetery (microfiche)

Hobartís first public cemetery opened at Cornelian Bay in 1872.  Many names included in this index refer to earlier deaths; some headstones have been relocated from early Hobart churchyards.  The first index (Set 1) consists of over 40,000 names arranged alphabetically and includes, where available, death date, age, and the number of persons named on the headstone.  The second index (Set 2) is sorted by TFHS Inc. Hobart Branch Code and lists together all people noted on each headstone.  Included in this second index are, where available, the names of parents and/or spouse.  Names from cremation plaques located on Walls and in Memorial Gardens at Cornelian Bay have not been included.

 

Sample page

 

BACK TO MICROFICHE SALES
 


 

   
 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol VI Hobartís early churchyards and other monuments Part 1 Congregational Cemeteries

Includes burial records for the Upper Davey Street Congregational Cemetery, which was closed by 1902 and the land later redeveloped, and also those interred in the of the Congregational church grounds at New Town (St Johnís) and Hestercommbe.

 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol VI Hobartís early churchyards and other monuments Part 2 Presbyterian Cemeteries

Hobartís early Scottish pioneers buried their loved ones in a Presbyterian burial ground on the corner of Patrick and Church Streets.  Many headstones still line the perimeter walls of what is now Council parkland.  Burial records from both St Andrewís Church (now Scotís Uniting) and St Johnís Presbyterian Church are included.
 

Sample page

 

 


 

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol VII Clarence Plains (Rokeby) Anglican, Congregational

Clarence Plainsí fertile land was one of the earliest areas to be settled outside Hobart. Many pioneering farming families and convicts are buried in St Matthewís Anglican churchyard, and the small Congregational burial ground.

Sample pages

     

Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol VIII Sorell District
Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol IX Oatlands District
Cemeteries of Southern Tasmania: Vol X Bruny Island

These CDs include all the known cemeteries in each district.  Each cemetery has a brief history and/or description, a plan, and a list of the individuals identified there.  Wherever possible, each individual has a photograph of his or her grave and/or headstone, a transcription of any wording and a plot number.  Many inscriptions were recorded up to 30 years ago so that, in some cases, an inscription is given even though it may no longer be clear on the tombstone.  Also included is a history of each district and details of how each cemetery may be found.

 

Sample Page

BACK TO CD SALES

BACK TO SALES PAGE